Monday, September 13, 2010

recap '10




I really enjoyed study abroad this year. It was a year of discovery for me - I tried to find new places to see, new things to experience, and new enjoyment in the familiar. The group was terrific: fun, pliable, positive, offbeat, and willing to try everything. I loved that.

A couple of details about the trip, more for me to remember than anyone else:

The Group: Cherie Julander, Alex Ungerman, Kristi Summers, Rachel Cox, Brozin Mottaghian, Jacob Porter, Scott and Alta Stringham, Daniel Whiting, Katie Sullivan, Becca Ingram, Jessamyn Svensson, and Nicholas Grossaint.

I read: The Lonely Polygamist, by Brady Udall. Barrel Fever: Stories and Essays, by David Sedaris.

2010 playlist:

Killed Myself When I Was Young - A.A. Bondy
That Beep - Architecture in Helsinki
Fire - Augustana
The Cult of Karl - Chris Merritt
Any Fun - Coconut Records
We Used to Vacation - Cold War Kids
Believe E.S.P. - Deerhoof
Sailing by Night - Department of Eagles
Light a Roman Candle With Me - Fun.
Driveway - Great Northern
Switched On - Islands
Go Do - Jonsi
Good Day - Jukebox the Ghost
World News - Local Natives
Come Ye Children of the Lord - The Lower Lights
Love for Granted - Phoenix
Pretend - Shark Speed
Oh Mandy - The Spinto Band
Something Good Can Work - Two Door Cinema

People: Anastasia B, the awesome front desk crew at Queen's Gate, The Great Gandinis, magenta bonnet, Gillian Chadwick, Sam Wills, bizarre muttering Indian Tour guide at Sherlock Holmes, The Seeleys and the Tates, Nick at the Globe, The Hampton Court reveler, super encouraging Globe usher/midget, Charlie Cox & Ian McDiarmid, Trilby Cope, Kate & Amelia Ngai, the good staff at the Everyman, guy on the lawn outside Keats' house, Mark & Stephanie Oram, Mark Rylance, David Suchet & Zoe Wanamaker, the nice kids from U of Southern Miss, Jo Breslin & Jill Cowley, Christina Gutekunst, Alta's boob friend, slowly internally dying Thai waitress, the creepy line butter, Jamie Parker & Roger Allam, Borzin's train seatmates, Percy at Ajiel, The kissing staff at Cafe a Gogo, butterfly pin guy in Paris, The good folks at Kok Ping, Kiwi Karl, piano hog at Shakespeare & Co, the American lady on the train who hates Paris, drunk Germans on the tube, Gwin, the guy at the Dirty Duck who dislikes credit cards, Sir Toby & Andrew at Shakespeare's house, flaming Hall's Croft tour guide, angry guard at John Soane's, my seatmate at Into the Woods who hated it, Dominic Rowan & Amanda Lawrence, Benedict Cumberbatch & Nancy Carroll, the old lady I got in a fight with at the National, our irrepressible National tour guide, the awkward aquarium guy, the special kew garden lady on the bench, fancy french waiter at Ma Cuisine with his surly teen busboy, cockney bus driver lady, naked Philip Herbert, James and Colleen Arrington, Frank at the Edinburgh Castle, Ricardo & Paty & Leo, Miguel & Pedro & Sandra, Senior Nevua 1 & 2, Anxious Spanish hot tubbers, everyone at the Avioso, Jackson on the plane

Quote to remember: "Walking skeletons, what do you think? Now my monkey will pour you a drink!"

My favorite shows: After the Dance, Henry IV 1 & 2, Tabu, The Prince of Homburg, The War Horse

Thoroughly enjoyed: Naked Splendour, Keepers, The Winter's Tale, All My Sons, La Bete, The Comedy of Errors, Love Never Dies, The Habit of Art, Carmen Funebre, The Great Gandini's

Meh: Henry VIII, Aspects of Love, Enron, Eonnagata, Danton's Death, Billy Elliot, The Late Middle Classes

Avoid at all costs: Into the Woods

Movies I watched: Inception

I want to say a special thank you to my new friends in Portugal. The four days I spent with you in Geres will always be some of my favorite memories. Especially thank you to Ricardo, a great friend who accommodated me and made me feel welcome, even when turning cows.

I think this completes my account. This was a wonderful trip. If you would like to come with us next year, please consider it. I would love to talk to you more about coming. You can contact me at clarkch@uvu.edu.

Cheers!