Monday, July 14, 2014

karma police, thought police

Since the students arrive tomorrow, today was the second, and final, day I had alone with Miles. He's an ideal travel companion: interesting, super funny, smart, and never a single complaint about anything. He's also short on opinions about what we do or where we go, so I figured I would just tailor the day to the kinda stuff he likes. We set out for downtown, wearing the same clothes we wore yesterday. And the day before. Still no luggage.

Once we hit Denmark Street, Miles was in heaven. It's store after store of music shops, filled with every kind of stringed instrument you can think of. We hit every single one. In some of them, I relaxed in an armchair while Miles plucked chords on guitar after guitar. In others, he plucked a mandolin. In one, he played the bass line of "Seven Nation Army" and another guitarist, across the shop, joined in on the chorus. Some shops plugged him in, other shops tuned him out and went about their business. But it was a solid three hours, stopping only for a Chipotle (because Daddy hasta eat,) and pure unfiltered music. I loved it.

Once Miles' fingers started to bleed, and I mean that literally, we wandered around the shops of the west end, looking at record stores and bookstores and cinema stores. I think Miles died and went to heaven, and I kind of did, too. I even ran into an old friend:

We headed back to the flat to pick up our luggage (finally!) and there was Miles' suitcase, ready and waiting. Mine, however, was nowhere in sight (oh for realz?) so we went south of the river and ate some pizza so I would at least feel better. There was nothing to be done about the way I smelled. (And still smell, as I write this at 11 pm.)

And finally, tonight, our first play of the season! It was an adaptation of 1984, a book Miles loves (but not as much as Animal Farm, and far inferior to A Brave New World, apparently.) This play. Where to start? It was terrifying. I don't know if I've ever gripped my chair in a theatre like this. It started out so innocuous, but just as I started to settle in it turned into flashing lights and screaming bells and torture and gunshots and broken teeth and I needed a Valium when it was all over. Which isn't to say it wasn't awesome; it was. It just jolted me out of my seat with an electricity and a terror I haven't felt in a theatre before. And we were on the front row, so it felt like sitting in the front seat of a roller coaster. I wasn't expecting it. Miles had to calm me down when it was all over; he loved it. He also had to explain the plot. For which I was very grateful.