Monday, August 03, 2009

call me pierre


We were up and out at 5:30 this morning because we had a train to catch. Paris on the 6:27. I don’t remember much about the cab ride, except I was really sleepy, and the driver was playing Bollywood music, and one of the songs was called “I want to party.” Once we got on the train I zonked out, and so did Lisa. The only thing that disturbed my sleep was my ears popping when we hit the chunnel, and when the girl behind me spilled coffee on herself and then blamed her boyfriend for it. Other than that I slept my way to France.

Everyone made it safely, and though it’s always kind of an ordeal getting 14 people to Paris, we did just fine. As always, the Hotel Ajiel is accommodating and friendly. Lisa and I took an epic nap as soon as we checked in. I don’t even remember taking my shoes off.

Later I took the students to the Trocodero for their first real view of the Eiffel Tower, and we also saw this:

Then I dropped them off at the Musee D’Orsay, museum passes in hand.

In the early afternoon Lisa woke up, ready to party. Just like in that Bollywood song! So we headed to St. Michel, where we ate Subway sandwiches in front of the famous fountain. Yes, you heard me right: SUBWAY SANDWICHES. I am not ashamed. If you think I’m going to eat every meal in some little Frenchy café you have another thing coming. Sometimes I just need a foot long and some chips, and Lisa is the same way. It’s a match made in fast food heaven.

We met up with the students around 6 pm, and watched this in front of the D’Orsay:

Next, a trip to Montmartre! Starting at the Moulin Rouge, we wound our way up the hill passing the windmills and the art shops until we hit the Sacre Couer. Along the way Lisa and I stopped in front of Amelie's Cafe and re-enacted the scene where she melts. We sat on the steps of the Sacre Couer and watched the lights of the city slowly come on, that is when we weren’t watching Anna-Marie’s belly dance: We also played this game called "Your boyfriend/Your girlfriend" which is where you find random people in a crowd and describe them as someone's boyfriend or girlfriend. The more awkward the better. Mandy's boyfriend was a pigeon.

Sadly, we saw this:

But the entertainment picked up with this delightful performance of Besa Me Mucho on the metro:

Last stop, the Arc de Triumphe. We climbed to the top and pretended that the stairs didn’t make us sick. It’s a hike. But worth it! The view from the top is fantastic. And we made it just in time to see the Eiffel Tower twinkling at 10:00. Lisa and I totally made out. It’s the best view in Paris!