Monday, August 20, 2007

home



Well, I'm home now. I'm also jet-lagged, which is why I'm writing this at 6:00 am. I'm going to be adding a few pictures to this blog as they roll in, but for the most part I'm going to shut this site down for another year. Thanks for keeping up with me - it was a fantastic trip. A couple of details, more for me to remember than anyone else:

The Group:

Mark Pugh (TA), Wes Tolman, Cara Wright, Susan Boogard, Rick Priddis, Liz Christianson, Jason Hackney, Melissa Stevens, Jaclyn Hales, Alex Ungerman, Chelsea LeSeuer, Ashley Erekson, and Aurora Borjas.

I read:

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, by Jonathan Safran Foer
The History of Love, by Nicole Krauss
The Horrible Histories of Edinburgh, by Terry Deary
Mary Queen of Scots, and Her Hopeless Husbands, by Margaret Simpson

I listened to:

The Suicide Handbook, by Ryan Adams

People I met:

Phil Mode & Michael MacKinney, the confused barwench at Janet’s, Tom from Sussex and his Aunt, the “jumper” lady, Ben from Cambridge, Tim, Vicky, and Yvonne at the B&B’s, the little boys at the Diana Memorial, the tour guide who told us dirty stories about London, Jason the bus driver, the waiter at Nando’s who said “I have some beers for you," the weird lisp guard at St. Paul’s, the scary B&B ladies in Edinburgh who actually turned out to be nice, Zandy from Hong Kong who looks like my Grandma, the BBC reporter, the guy at MofV who looked like Marc Shaw, Shane from the Theatre Museum, and John & David, coming home from Soccer Camp.

Quotes to remember:

"Oy, David. It's me fava!"
"And what will YOU be having?...and what will YOU be having?...I guess I'm just a little confused...."
"How many feet in a meter?" "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....."
"It's a jumpa! The current pulls you right unda!"
"Guess what? It's Summertime!"
"When I was leetle boy..."
"Poppea, I want to be Pop-payee-a"
"I don't wanna CHANGE KEYS no more"

My favorite shows:

The 39 Steps
The Drowsy Chaperone
Henry IV, Part One


Pretty darn good:

Car Man
The Bacchae
Under Milk Wood
L'Orfeo
The Hothouse
Merchant of Venice
Love's Labour's Lost
Saint Joan
The Philistines
Gaslight



Meh:

Carmen Jones
The Rose Tattoo
Wicked
Spamalot
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Othello


Avoid at all costs:

Poppea
The Threepenny Opera


Movies I watched:

Xanadu
The Simpsons Movie


DVD's I watched:

Rome: Season One

TV I watched:

So You Think You Can Dance (via Youtube)
Big Brother
That fill-in-the-blank game show
Countdown
Richard Is My Boyfriend


I think this completes my account. Until next summer, Cheerio!